Thursday 11 April 2013

king creosote's strops

His mic wasn't working properly and this disruption wasn't appreciated by him or his fans. It got sorted quickly though and he continued with what was a brilliant gig-a mix of beautiful songs and funny banter. King Creosote, or Kenny Anderson to his pals, played at the Oran Mor last night. Stephen and I were lucky enough to get tickets on Gumtree, since it sold out long before I got wind of it.

His 2011 album 'Diamond Mine' with Jon Hopkins brought him the sort of recognition he was long overdue (like a raised profile and a Mercury Prize nomination). I'm sad to say I hadn't heard of him until a dear friend gave me this album; anyone I have since gave it to has similarly fallen in love.
He wasn't pulling shapes like this last night since he's broke his ankle, and delighted us all with a musical number about all the ways this didn't happen. 'Bats in the Attic' was a musical high point, and the story of his brother inventing chips and cheese was a comic one.

He's still touring south of the border (FYI Hanna) and anyone who makes it along is guaranteed a wonderful night.

Natalie xX


No comments:

Post a Comment